YSS Facts > About Youth Services System | Youth Services System, Inc.
- Organized in 1974 as a nonprofit by local citizens, social workers, clergy, attorneys and judges seeking answers for youth and families in crisis.
- Operates emergency shelters for youth. Samaritan House for boys and Helinski Shelter for girls, both in Wheeling.
- Operates the only Safe Place program in West Virginia.
- Has an independent living program to prepare young people to live on their own after they leave foster care—Tuel [pronounced: Tool] Center in New Martinsville.
- Operates the only private nonprofit juvenile center in West Virginia.
- Operates a community-based adolescent drug and alcohol program in the Northern Panhandle.
- Provides in-home support and skill building for parents in the Northern Panhandle.
- Offers job skills training and employment programs for youth in the Northern Panhandle.
- Operates three Peer Recovery Homes, Lazarus House and Mark's House for men and Mary & Martha House for women.
- Youth Services System’s success with youth is the result of the commitment and generosity of our staff, fellow agencies, courts, law enforcement, and businesses, large and small.
- Youth Services System believes that young people are every community’s treasure and that we should say "yes, yes and yes again" to help them succeed.