Transitional Living and Housing Services
In this embedded video, YSS Communications Manager discusses Transitional Living Program on Comcast Newsmakers.
Youth Services System works with youth from the ages of 17-21 to build life skills, education, and work experience for a solid foundation for becoming independent adults in the community. Our Transitional Living Program began to work with youth aging out of foster care in 1981. Our services offer support, training and housing at our Tuel Transitional Living Training Center in New Martinsville and at the McCrary Center in Wheeling.
Every year, YSS holds the Wheeling Sleepout to benefit youth in the Transitional Living Program. The 2021 fundraiser is underway and will culminate with the SleepOut on Nov. 5 at the Miracle League Field. For more information, to register, or to donate, click here.
The Transitional Living Program has three phases.
- In Phase I, the youth’s skills are assessed and an individual plan for independent living is created. Skills are assessed using the Casey Life Skills assessment, a nationally recognized means to learn about existing skills and areas which require strengthening. Teaching skills and demonstrating independent living skills is important. Links are made to needed services, and supportive counseling is provided. As the youth completes the tasks—creating a plan, participating in the program, and demonstrating mastery of some skills, they apply to move to Phase II.
- Phase II continues the services and staff support of Phase I with a focus on advanced living skills, reinforcement of learned skills, and continued facilitation of relationships with family/friends. As the youth demonstrates the ability to set and achieve goals, maintain employment, and financially manage their lives, the next stage is Phase III.
- Phase III has the youth living in community, with staff support and ongoing services like linkage and referral to social and community resources.
Locations of Services
Tuel Transitional Training Center
352 McEldowney Ave.
New Martinsville, WV 26155
111 North York Street
Wheeling, WV 26003
Tuel is open 24 hours daily, seven days per week.
McCrary access limited to youth, staff, and guests.
Youth will demonstrate self-reliance and proficiency in
- Finances and money management;
- Self care and Health
- Education (high school diploma, GED, college)
- Life skills (maintaining home, cooking, shopping, personal hygiene)
- Job and Career (identify interests, resume, obtain and maintain)
- Transportation (accessing public options, obtaining license, insurance)
- Permanence (maintain relationships, identify supportive adults)
- Community, culture and social life (community connections and support, spiritual support)
Referrals are received 24 hours daily, seven days/week by Central Referral at 1-800-977-8918 or (304) 233-9627.
Youth Services System, Inc
P.O. Box 6041
Wheeling, WV 26003-0717