Winter Freeze Shelter
Homelessness—Youth Services System is acutely aware of those affected by this. Some are youth whom we serve through Samaritan House or Helinski Shelter or our Transitional Living Program. In keeping with the belief of Ron Mulholland, our founder, that we have an expectation to care for the “least” among us, we seek to serve this community.
YSS participates in the Greater Wheeling Coalition for the Homeless Continuum of Care and works with those in the community concerned about our neighbors who are homeless. Since 2009, YSS has opened the fourth floor of our Central Office at 87 15th Street to serve as a Winter Freeze Shelter for the homeless unable to be admitted in traditional homeless shelters.
Volunteers make this possible. Volunteers spend nights from 8:30 pm to 7:30 am offering fellowship and security to our guests in the shelter. Others donate food for a warm meal. Still others give needed items to support these guests. We are proud of the generous community which makes this possible—donors of all means; more than 24 churches/religious groups, 30 businesses and civic groups. Thank you.
- Warm, safe shelter for our guests from 9 pm to 7 am each night from December 15—March 15;
- A warm meal;
- Assistance with transportation and direct needs like clothing and medication;
- Access to services; health, mental health, and other needed care
- Connection to others, fellowship
Location of Service
Wheeling, WV 26003
December 15-March 15 from 10 pm to 7 pm
- Safety and security;
- Connections to the community;
- Support to find transitional or temporary housing.
John Moses, Executive Director, email@example.com