Northern Panhandle Harm Reduction & Recovery Alliance
The Northern Panhandle Harm Reduction & Recovery Alliance serves as a hub for information and referrals to harm reduction and recovery services in Hancock, Brooke, Ohio, Marshall & Wetzel counties. Funding for Region 1 services is provided by a State Opioid Response grant through the WV Office of Behavioral Health, the WV Office of Public Health and WV Office of Drug Control Policy.
For Help & Information, Contact:
Martha Polinsky, Office of Drug Control Policy Regional Coordinator
What is Harm Reduction?
Harm reduction is a set of practical, public health strategies designed to reduce the negative consequences of drug use and promote healthy individuals and communities. It is non-judgmental, non-stigmatizing engagement of people who use drugs with the sole intent to reduce harm.
What are Examples of Harm Reduction Strategies?
- Collection and safe disposal of used syringes
- Distribution of sterile injection equipment
- HIV/HCV education
- Overdose education and naloxone distribution
- Condom distribution
- Linkage to needed services, e.g. treatment for substance use disorders
- HIV, HCV, STI testing
- Wound care
- Reproductive health services
- Substance use disorder treatment planning